[ejabberd] getting started with ejabberd...

Dendik N.F. dendik at zmail.ru
Thu Aug 28 14:10:58 MSD 2003

Hi everybody in common, and Marshall in particular!

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 09:44:26 -0700
  Marshall Rose
<mrose+internet.jabber.ejabberd at dbc.mtview.ca.us> wrote:
>so, i removed the ssl lines in the config file and tried
>again. this
>time it starts fine, great!
Ow. I wanted to write you that it works fine without ssl,
but for some reason i decided that you want to have ssl...
sorry for not replying before.

>however, when i try to register (by logging in with
>tkabber), the
>connection gets dropped (cf., attached ejabberd.log).
in my case (i don't remember exactly, but my erlang is
R9B-0 as i remember) logging in and registering
works fine ONLY IF PASSWORDS ARE NOT HASHED. Probably
it's a problem with erlang again.

>at this point, i have to ask whether anyone is actually
>using ejabberd
i am! It's very fun to have two jabber daemons for no
use!!
::-))

Also some tips:
   i found it (as i would say in russian) "by method of
   scientific ``ping''" (there's a good word TYK in
russian
   which means nothing but suits situation) that you don't
   need to have short host name if you run ejabberd with
   -sname instead of -name.

   Also this helps ALOT!!:
     erl -sname ejabberd -s ejabberd -s tv
   And also shows the power of erlang!

BTW. I don't really know erlang (except that i read the
   article on it a year ago and thuoght it's a cool
language,
   and that i know Haskell well (even almost wrote and
interpreter/
   compiler for it by myself) and think that Erlang is
like Haskell
   but without types, without monads (that is bad), and in
common
   tending more towards Refal (that is good)). And i
didn't even
   download any manpages on it. So, please don't ask me
   questions on erlang!

Dendik
---
Professional hosting for everyone - http://www.host.ru