[ejabberd] beginner: ejabberd component names

Frank Bauer frank_c_bauer at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 12 21:51:34 MSK 2003

Hi,

I'm new to jabber _servers_ and I'm confused about component's names
and  real DNS names. e.g.
I have a computer michelle.ccnet.mil for local use, so I use
{host, "diamond.dot.mil"}.
That is fine so far. Now the funny part: copy from example:

{listen,
 [{5222, ejabberd_c2s,     [{access, c2s},
			    {shaper, c2s_shaper}]},
  {8888, ejabberd_service, [{hosts,
			   ["conference.e.localhost",
			    "muc.e.localhost"],
			   [{password, "secret"}]}]}
 ]}.

I suppose I should replace "localhost" by my computer name
"diamond.dot.mil". What about the part "conference.e." and "muc.e."
These are internal to ejabberd, or should I setup new dns entry
"conference.e.diamond.dot.mil"?

Same questions about modules section:
{modules, [
     {mod_echo,      [{host, "echo.localhost"}]}
]}.

Replace by {host, "echo.diamond.dot.mil"} and setup dns entry for it?

Cheers,
          Frank Bauer