[ejabberd] beginner: ejabberd component names

Alexey Shchepin alexey at sevcom.net
Thu Nov 13 12:32:36 MSK 2003

Hello, Frank!

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 21:51:34 -0800 (PST), you said:

 FB> Hi, I'm new to jabber _servers_ and I'm confused about
 FB> component's names and real DNS names. e.g.  I have a computer
 FB> michelle.ccnet.mil for local use, so I use
 FB> {host, "diamond.dot.mil"}.
 FB> That is fine so far. Now the funny part: copy from example:

[...]

 FB> I suppose I should replace "localhost" by my computer name
 FB> "diamond.dot.mil". What about the part "conference.e." and
 FB> "muc.e."  These are internal to ejabberd, or should I setup new
 FB> dns entry "conference.e.diamond.dot.mil"?

They will be accessible to users connected to this server.  If you
want to make them available for other servers via S2S connections, you
need to add DNS entries for these domains.

 FB> Same questions about modules section: {modules, [ {mod_echo,
 FB> [{host, "echo.localhost"}]} ]}.

 FB> Replace by {host, "echo.diamond.dot.mil"} and setup dns entry for
 FB> it?

Actually {host, "echo.diamond.dot.mil"} is default, so you can just
remove this record.  And same here, you need a DNS record if you want
to make this service accessible to another jabber servers.