[ejabberd] ldap question

James Tait james.tait at morse.com
Thu Aug 19 12:19:12 MSD 2004

Hi Allan,

> 1) I used PSI to register a new account. How can I remove
> this account?

It should be possible to remove the account from Psi, and have Psi remove it
from the server when you do so.  I seem to recall there's a checkbox for
this.  I've yet to find a server that it works with, however....

> Where is the account stored?

I don't have accounts stored on the server as I'm using external
authentication, but my best guess would be the spool directory of your
ejabberd installation.  Anyone with more knowledge than myself care to
correct me?

> 2) We have an LDAP server that support authentication, but I
> cannot seem to get it to work with ejabberd. I uncommented
> the 4 LDAP lines, commented the "{auth_method, internal}."
> line, entered the server name, the lookup field (uid) and the
> base, but when I connect, it doesn't appear to do anything. I
> can't see any attempt to do an ldap lookup in the log.

I used the following:

{auth_method, ldap}.
{ldap_servers, ["our.ldap.server"]}.    % List of LDAP servers
{ldap_uidattr, "uid"}.            % LDAP attribute that holds user ID
{ldap_base, ""}. % Base of LDAP directory

This worked fine against an Oracle Internet Directory server, but failed
against an Active Directory server.  I resorted to external authentication
with a custom-written program to perform SMB auth instead.

> Is there a way to see what it's doing?

I found the best way to see what was going on was to use a packet sniffer.

JT
--
James Tait
Developer, Morse Professional Services

This email and any attachments are confidential and are intended only for
the addressee.  If you are not the intended recipient of this email and
have received it in error, you are hereby notified that the email and any
attachments must not be copied, stored or further disseminated or
distributed.  If you have received this email and its attachments in error,
please notify the sender immediately and then delete it from your system.
Internet communications are not secure and Morse makes no representation
and accepts no responsibility or liability as to the completeness and
accuracy of the information contained in this message.  Any information,
opinions or advice contained within the email or any attachments are not
necessarily those of the Morse Group.

Email communications sent and/or received by Morse staff are stored and
monitored.

Orders for hardware and software are accepted subject to Morse's Standard
Terms and Conditions of Sale.  Orders for services are accepted subject to
Morse's Standard Terms and Conditions for the Provision of Consultancy
Services.  Copies are available at http://www.morse.com and on request from
legal at morse.com or your account manager.