[ejabberd] Regarding message logging

James Tait james.tait at morse.com
Thu Aug 19 16:15:24 MSD 2004

Hi Mickaël,

> I have read several messages on the list regarding message logging.
> Could you describe further what is your idea of message log?
> What are you expected from the log?

Basically, the log will be used for audit purposes, to prevent abuse of a
corporate server.  To achieve this, I guess it should be possible to
"playback" sessions from the log in such a way that you can see who was
online, when, from where, what they said and when.

> We are developping a complete EAI (enterprise application
> integration) platform based on several components. One of
> them is ejabberd. For this platform called J-EAI, we are
> working with Alexey on message logging features. They are
> quite comprehensive and cover both messages and events (when
> has a message entered the system? When was it placed in the
> message queue? When was it delivered?)

Although I like the idea of logging events, I'm not sure we would use it in
our situation.  However, if the server were to be used as a message router
for, say, SMS messages then I can definitely see a need for that.

> Those feature, when ready, will be published as part of J-EAI
> first. If they are interesting as well for ejabberd users,
> they could be integrated into ejabberd code base.

That would be great.  I've been looking into this, on and off, for maybe a
couple of weeks now.  The logging has to be in place before I announce the
server and put it into production use.  Even if the features can't be rolled
into ejabberd, it'd be good to get your opinions and experiences.

JT
--
James Tait
Developer, Morse Professional Services

This email and any attachments are confidential and are intended only for
the addressee.  If you are not the intended recipient of this email and
have received it in error, you are hereby notified that the email and any
attachments must not be copied, stored or further disseminated or
distributed.  If you have received this email and its attachments in error,
please notify the sender immediately and then delete it from your system.
Internet communications are not secure and Morse makes no representation
and accepts no responsibility or liability as to the completeness and
accuracy of the information contained in this message.  Any information,
opinions or advice contained within the email or any attachments are not
necessarily those of the Morse Group.

Email communications sent and/or received by Morse staff are stored and
monitored.

Orders for hardware and software are accepted subject to Morse's Standard
Terms and Conditions of Sale.  Orders for services are accepted subject to
Morse's Standard Terms and Conditions for the Provision of Consultancy
Services.  Copies are available at http://www.morse.com and on request from
legal at morse.com or your account manager.