[ejabberd] is there SMTP gate ?

Andreas van Cranenburgh andreas at unstable.nl
Tue Dec 14 16:24:52 MSK 2004

On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 02:17:10PM +0100, Stefan de Konink wrote:
> Arioch /BDV/ wrote:
> >Is there some MOD or separate application (worse) that can listen on
> >SMTP port, receive mails there (binary attaches not interesting,
> >language/charset recoding is) and send then as XMPP messages.
> >MOD seems to be better, since it does not need extra database of user
> >accounts, that need to be in sync with jabber's one.
>
> I have that in planning to make (along with e-mail messages in roster),
> but more in combination with a MTA. If someone knows an existing mod...
> I'm also interested.

There's already a "SMTP gateway" for Jabber. It let's you receives e-mails in jabber and let's you write e-mails from jabber. It's in Perl and yes it listens on port 25 to receive e-mails...

> My idea was to create a rostergroup 'new mail' and when a session is
> started to send the textbody to the client.

Some things that I would like to see are IMAP and SMTP 'frontends' or
translators for Jabber. Why? So that people can use their reglar
clients, but can also benefit from the advantages of Jabber. Something
like IM2000 or NGMP. But for that a persistent storage of messages is
first needed.

--
	Andreas		[ http://unstable.nl | xmpp:andreas at unstable.nl ]
			[  callto:ils.seconix.com/andreas at unstable.nl	]