[ejabberd] is there SMTP gate ?

Stefan de Konink skinkie at xs4all.nl
Tue Dec 14 18:05:50 MSK 2004

Andreas van Cranenburgh wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 02:45:11PM +0100, Stefan de Konink wrote:
>
>>Andreas van Cranenburgh wrote:
>>>Some things that I would like to see are IMAP and SMTP 'frontends' or
>>>translators for Jabber. Why? So that people can use their reglar
>>>clients, but can also benefit from the advantages of Jabber. Something
>>>like IM2000 or NGMP. But for that a persistent storage of messages is
>>>first needed.
>>
>>Exactly, but if a mod_imap is made the storage of messages can be safely
>>done serverside via imap.
>
> IMAP is a protocol, not a storage. Yes indeed there could be a mod_imap
> to listen on port 143, but there could just as well be a seperate
> imap-jabber translator, server independent/agnostic.
Yes, but why not something like a transport? (Or is that what you mean?)
Teaching a transport the imap-clientside append/store/fetch would make
direct integration possible.

> How the storage
> would be realized I don't know, currently the philosophy isto keep
> spoolfiles small and tiny, right?
I can't answer that question :) But I think the specific remote storage
should only be used for the 'messages' comming from the
translator/transport/module.

The pro of IMAP itself is probably creating just one interface and
keeping email and jabbermessages serparate by default. A con could be:
with direct SMTP integration messages could be stored natively on the
server and neighter a SMTP or IMAP server are required.

So what is prefered? Would everyone migrate of SMTP/IMAP to XMMP? I
don't see that happen pretty quickly and e-mails stored inside a Jabber
server need to be available from the outside. Which probably means there
needs to be a POP3/IMAP/Webinterface created for the recieved/stored
messages.

Writing all this I think the smtp transport/translator would be the
futuristic solution but easiest to keep alive. All services are then
handled within a Jabber domain and thus no external problems/bugs to
keep in mind, it is backward compatible and works with
jabberuser at virtualdomain.tld. On implementation level a mix between a
emailserver and a transport.

Keep in mind this is heading to get the tag 'groupware' soon...

Stefan