[ejabberd] is there SMTP gate ?

Stefan de Konink skinkie at xs4all.nl
Tue Dec 14 20:04:05 MSK 2004

Andreas van Cranenburgh wrote:
> A transport transports, and this is not about transporting. There's
> already SMTP <-> Jabber (the SMTP transport). My ideas is to have IMAP
> <-> Jabber, so that people can use the messaging part (not the chatting
> part) of Jabber using only traditional e-mail software.

Let me get this straight:

  _____________              _______________
| Legacy IMAP | <--IMAP--> | IMAP-Jabber   |
|    like     |            |_______________|<->|  Jabber  |
|  Mozilla/   |             _______________    |  server  |
|     Lookout |            | SMTP-Jabber   |<->|__________|
|_____________|            | transport:25  |
              |             |_______________|
              |               ^
              v               |
              __________      |
             | Provider |<----'
             | SMTP     |
             | service  |
             |__________|

A imap capable program must connect to a jabber imap interface. The
jabber imap interface must fetch stored messages from the jabber server.
The imap capable program must send messages to a SMTP server, the SMTP
Jabber transport must recieve messages form SMTP servers and must
convert and send SMTP messages to users which are not present in the
roster table.

Is the above correct?

> As I tlod you already, there *is* such a SMTP transport. Google it or try
> amessage.*, they're running it.
Ok, sorry found it allready.

Stefan