[ejabberd] XMPP mail system was: is there SMTP gate ?

Andreas van Cranenburgh andreas at unstable.nl
Tue Dec 14 21:04:21 MSK 2004

On Tue, 2004-12-14 at 18:04 +0100, Stefan de Konink wrote:
> Is the above correct?

Almost. The reading of messages part is like I meant it, but I envision
a different way of sending the messages. Instead of using an ISP's SMTP
server, with all of the infamous problems like spoofing and spamming,
there would be a modified SMTP server, which speaks SMTP only for
clients, and talks XMPP when delivering the message. The reason for this
is in this XMPP mail system one needs a Jabber account to send messages,
and people can easily manage a list of trusted contacts (their roster).

So in short, my ideas is to have a completely new mail system, which is
pure Jabber (except that it's accessible to normal mail clients).

Unfortunately I don't know any programming languages, but if I would I'd
try to implement this :)

It could be written in Python, using libraries already available
perhaps? Or the two components (IMAP + SMTP) could be added as ejabberd
modules (this last approach would make the software dependent on
ejabberd of course).

The philosophy of Jabber is to have simple clients and leave the
complexity to the server. With this idea one has even simpler clients,
because they don't even have to speak any Jabber :)

--
        Andreas         [ http://unstable.nl | xmpp:andreas at unstable.nl ]
                        [  callto:ils.seconix.com/andreas at unstable.nl   ]