[ejabberd] Migrating ejabberd

Andreas van Cranenburgh andreas at unstable.nl
Fri Dec 17 18:55:56 MSK 2004

On Fri, Dec 17, 2004 at 10:49:49AM -0500, Chris Rutledge wrote:
>    I've inherited an openbsd jabber server that I'd like to migrate to a
>    Windows server.  Is there documentation covering this?  I'd like the
>    migration to be transparent to the users.  That means moving all the
>    account information to the new server, then changing the dns entry to
>    point to the new server.  But I'm not sure how to migrate the user
>    information.  Any assistance would be appreciated.

Is it ejabberd to ejabberd migration? In that case have a look at
"ejabberdctl", it can make a dump of the ejabberd database, which you
can import on the new server.

In case of jabberd 1.4 to ejabberd: have a look at /var/lib/jabber,
that's where the spoolfiles are, make them available on the other
computer and do the migration.

In both case the migration can be transparent (I've done the latter for
unstable.nl).

This is not my business but why wouldn't you leave it on OpenBSD? It's
much more suitable for a server (reason: stability and security)

--
	Andreas		[ http://unstable.nl | xmpp:andreas at unstable.nl ]
			[  callto:ils.seconix.com/andreas at unstable.nl	]