[ejabberd] mod_irc getting user status from IRC network

Oleg V. Motienko mmm at ttn.ru
Sun May 30 20:35:08 MSD 2004

Hello!

Just read rfcs about IRC (1459,2812). So, there is beautiful command to
get presence from IRC network (IRC clients use it to create notify list).

Let's our nick is user0; user1 and user3 is online, user2 and user4 is
offline.

So, we send to IRC server:

ISON user1 user2 user3 user4

and got answer:

:irc.domain.ru 303 user0 :user1 user3

In jabber we see users like user1!irc.domain.ru at mod_irc.ejabber.domain
and if we poll userlist approx every 1-3 min we can see status of IRC users.

Some IRC servers also support command WATCH. In this case they send word
WATCH in compatibility list (005 answer, like "WATCH=128")

Information avaible on

http://www.mishscript.de/help/rawhlp6.htm#raw600
http://www.eggfaq.com/docs/raw.html

This is better way to get status, cause server sent 600 series replies
itself instead of client polls (traffic safer).

What do you think about?

--
Regards, Oleg
xmpp: mmm at jabber.ttn.ru