[ejabberd] How about memory consumption?!

Mickael Remond mickael.remond at erlang-fr.org
Mon Oct 11 11:29:49 MSD 2004

Max Loparyev wrote:
> In few words it is a disaster!
>     I have an old good machine with 128M Ram, Pentium 166MMX processor,
> serving jabber about 2 years for our home network with about 50 online
> users in average and 100 online at maximum. We have about 1300 accounts
> in xdb_file storage and its size about 41M. Now i am running wpjabberd
> for main server, one else for conference and another one wpjabberd with
> JIT service, consuming 46M(16M), 29M(1.8M), and 64M(22M) respectively(i
> mentioned Virtual size(Resident size)).
>
>     Ejabberd is future reach and aggresively developed server, so i
> think to give it a try. After clean start without any users I've got the
> next parameters 28M VSIZE and 17m RSS, which is acceptable, but when I
> convert my spool to ejabberds mnesia storage is starts to eat
> 106MB(95M)(here and after VSIZE(RSS)).

That's strange. I made yesterday night a benchmark with Tsunami. I
reached 500 connected users, but had more than 35MB(15MB) of RAM occupation.
I will do a benchmark with more user account to see if this is
consistent with your figure.

> At this time it is already not so
> good, because I need some memory for JIT service, but still acceptable
> without thinking of growing a user database in the future. I've tuned DB
> to not store roster in RAM and it helpes - memory consumption returns to
> its previous values i.e ~30M(17M)
>
> But what really stops me, it is the backup process. Here is a clean facts.

I will investigate those aspects and see what we can do to reduce the
consumtion during backups.

--
Mickaël Rémond
  http://www.erlang-projects.org/