[ejabberd] How to get AIM gateway working?

dragon_sphere at vdsworld.com dragon_sphere at vdsworld.com
Mon Oct 11 16:51:00 MSD 2004

> On Sun, Oct 10, 2004 at 02:22:57PM -0400, dragon_sphere at vdsworld.com
> wrote:
>> Hi all I am new to ejabber,
>>   I have the server up and running but I cannot seem to get the AIM
>> Gateway working?  My global config file has this line below...
>>   {5233, ejabberd_service, [{access, all}, {aim, "aim.<MyDomainName>",
>> [{password, "aimsecret"}]}]},
>
> Start with reading this: http://aim-transport.jabberstudio.org/
>
> --
> Sergei 'TeopeTuK' Golovan

Sergei,
  I took a look at the page you mentioned.  I had already read that page.
This link does not seem to be specific to EJabberd nor is it setup
instructions for making the AIM transport work under EJabberd.  Again I
do not know how to program in Erlang so I would not be able to convert
the AIM Transport from C to Erlang??  Besides EJabberd boasts that it
will work as a Gateway for AIM, ICQ, Yahoo, MSN, plus others that I am
not familiar with.  So what I asked is how exactly to make this work.  I
need step by step instructions for this.  Also the documentation is very
lacking.  I guess that is why I normally do not use Open Source
software.  Usually Open Source software makes claims that it cannot keep
and/or if it can actually do something it claims then only the person
that wrote it really knows how to make it work and they do not share the
information with others.  What good is open source if the documentation
is so lacking that the end user cannot figure out how to use it.  I
don't want to re-program, modify, or learn the language the software was
written in I just want to use it.  I have read the manual and I have
followed the destructions but it seems to be missing several steps to
use the software to it's full potential.

Thanks,
DragonSphere (AKA. JKinsey)