[ejabberd] How to get AIM gateway working?

James Tait james.tait at morse.com
Mon Oct 11 17:38:40 MSD 2004

DragonSphere,

> Sergei,
>   I took a look at the page you mentioned.  I had already
> read that page.

...snip...

> Besides EJabberd boasts that it will work as a
> Gateway for AIM, ICQ, Yahoo, MSN, plus others that I am not
> familiar with.  So what I asked is how exactly to make this
> work.  I need step by step instructions for this.  Also the
> documentation is very lacking.

You seem to be under the misguided impression that setting up a Jabber
server is a trivial task that can be undertaken at a whim.  It is not.
Before you set up your own Jabber server, you need to understand exactly
what it is you are doing, how it works and how to maintain it.  If you are
not willing to do this initial work, you would be far better off using one
of the many already-available public Jabber servers.  You don't need to
become an expert, but you do need to acquire some of the basics.

AIM-t is a Jabber server component, which runs in a separate process to the
main Jabber server and connects to it using the standard component protocol.
Having said that, the component is actually just a plug-in module for the
jabberd-1.4 server, and thus will require an installation of jabberd-1.4 in
order to run.

Details of configuring AIM-t to talk to your Jabber server are included in
the README file linked to from the page that Sergei sent you.  Details of
configuring the ejabberd server to accept component connections, as well as
examples, are provided in the ejabberd guide.  You will need some
information from jabber.org to tie all this together, but this information
is vital if you're going to be running a Jabber server anyway.

> I guess that is why I
> normally do not use Open Source software.  Usually Open
> Source software makes claims that it cannot keep and/or if it
> can actually do something it claims then only the person that
> wrote it really knows how to make it work and they do not
> share the information with others.  What good is open source
> if the documentation is so lacking that the end user cannot
> figure out how to use it.  I don't want to re-program,
> modify, or learn the language the software was written in I
> just want to use it.  I have read the manual and I have
> followed the destructions but it seems to be missing several
> steps to use the software to it's full potential.

This type of rant is very common amongst people who see Open Source software
as a means of getting something for nothing.  With closed-source software,
you pay your money and you get a nice printed manual written by a dedicated
team of non- or semi-technical users to guide even a novice through the
basic actions.  You pay to have someone on the end of a telephone waiting to
answer your queries.  With Open Source software, you pay by contributing
your time and effort back to the project, be it in code, documentation, or
some other form.  There is often no dedicated team of people writing
documentation.  There is often nobody waiting to answer your phone call.
There is usually a mailing list, with people willing to help you, but only
if you are also willing to help yourself.

I'm sorry if this response seems curt, inflammatory or elitist, but this
"Open Source is rubbish" kind of attitude is exactly what I'm trying to
stamp out.  Open source projects are only as good as the team supporting
them.  When you elect to use a piece of Open Source software, you become a
part of that team.

Best regards and good luck!

JT
--
James Tait
Developer, Morse Professional Services

This email and any attachments are confidential and are intended only for
the addressee.  If you are not the intended recipient of this email and
have received it in error, you are hereby notified that the email and any
attachments must not be copied, stored or further disseminated or
distributed.  If you have received this email and its attachments in error,
please notify the sender immediately and then delete it from your system.
Internet communications are not secure and Morse makes no representation
and accepts no responsibility or liability as to the completeness and
accuracy of the information contained in this message.  Any information,
opinions or advice contained within the email or any attachments are not
necessarily those of the Morse Group.

Email communications sent and/or received by Morse staff are stored and
monitored.

Orders for hardware and software are accepted subject to Morse's Standard
Terms and Conditions of Sale.  Orders for services are accepted subject to
Morse's Standard Terms and Conditions for the Provision of Consultancy
Services.  Copies are available at http://www.morse.com and on request from
legal at morse.com or your account manager.