[ejabberd] How to get AIM gateway working?

James Tait james.tait at morse.com
Mon Oct 11 18:55:39 MSD 2004

Hi DragonSphere,

> Ok maybe my email came across as a rant but it is not what I
> intended.
> All I am saying is that if you publish software and you make
> a cliam that it can do something then it should be able to do
> this.

It can and it does.

> I am more than willing if I can ever
> figure this stuff out to post step by step instructions with
> screen shots of how to make this work under Win32 and other
> platforms.

Fair enough, your help will be very much appreciated.  Your e-mail just read
as though you expected it to "just work" with no effort on your part, hence
my somewhat animated response.

>   Anyway back to the problem at hand.  The way the
> documentation reads is that you do not need any other
> software components to get the AIM transport working.  It
> reads as if the component comes with the server.
> Now you are saying that it does not and I need to install and
> configure the component seperately?

That's correct.  The features list in the ejabberd guide reads: "Ability to
interface with external components (JIT, MSN-t, Yahoo-t, etc.)", and AIM
transport is listed in an example later in the guide.  The word "external"
is key here, I can see how this could cause some confusion. :)  Perhaps an
extra note explicitly stating that these modules are not included would be a
good idea.

Actually, some work on the ejabberd guide and possibly some HOWTOs are on my
TODO list, but currently I'm working on a message archiving module and MUC
logging, as I need these features before I can get our internal server
launched.  If you're interested in discussing any of these projects (or
hurling abuse at me for ranting at you), my JID is jayteeuk at jabber.org.uk.

Cheers,

JT
--
James Tait
Developer, Morse Professional Services

This email and any attachments are confidential and are intended only for
the addressee.  If you are not the intended recipient of this email and
have received it in error, you are hereby notified that the email and any
attachments must not be copied, stored or further disseminated or
distributed.  If you have received this email and its attachments in error,
please notify the sender immediately and then delete it from your system.
Internet communications are not secure and Morse makes no representation
and accepts no responsibility or liability as to the completeness and
accuracy of the information contained in this message.  Any information,
opinions or advice contained within the email or any attachments are not
necessarily those of the Morse Group.

Email communications sent and/or received by Morse staff are stored and
monitored.

Orders for hardware and software are accepted subject to Morse's Standard
Terms and Conditions of Sale.  Orders for services are accepted subject to
Morse's Standard Terms and Conditions for the Provision of Consultancy
Services.  Copies are available at http://www.morse.com and on request from
legal at morse.com or your account manager.