[ejabberd] mnesia on a diskless client - starting up

jad at hungover.org jad at hungover.org
Mon Sep 6 16:57:52 MSD 2004

I am trying to implement a jabber cluster, such that multiple servers
running ejabberd connect to a backend database (which will not be running
ejabberd).

The backend database has all of the tables created correctly, and I can
connect to the database from a ejabberd server, by doing the following:

$ erl -sname ejabberd
Erlang (BEAM) emulator version 5.3.6.3 [source] [hipe]

Eshell V5.3.6.3  (abort with ^G)
(ejabberd at jabber-1)1> mnesia:start().
ok
(ejabberd at jabber-1)2> mnesia:change_config(extra_db_nodes,['ejabberd at db']).
{ok,['ejabberd at db']}
(ejabberd at jabber-1)3> mnesia:info().
Everything appears as it should.

However, want I really want to do is to start the jabber server so that it
automatically connects to the database server.

The documentation seems to imply that:

$ erl -sname ejabberd -mnesia extra_db_nodes \{['ejabberd at db']\)

(or some variant of the above - I've tried quite a few) should do the
trick, but I just can't get it to work.

Does anyone know how to get this working? I'm reasonably sure that I'm
just being stupid, and missing something obvious, but I just can't figure
out what to do now.

Thanks,