[ejabberd] Re: ejabberd under Mac OS X?

Magnus Henoch mange at freemail.hu
Fri Sep 24 22:30:27 MSD 2004

"Keith A Wingo" <wingo at uta.edu> writes:

> Magnus,
>
> I looked at the attached .bin file, but I could not make any sense of
> it.  Could you briefly walk through what you did to get a Jabber client
> running on OS X?
>
> I have a little bit of experience with MacOS 9 & X, but only a little :)

MacOS experience will not help at all; this is all done the Unix way.

This is what I did:

* Get the Erlang tarball from www.erlang.org
* Unpack, configure and install: (in Terminal)

tar xzf otp_src_R9C-2.tar.gz
cd otp_src_R9C-2
./configure
make
sudo make install

It is said that you need to patch Erlang to get SSL to work.  I don't
know the details about that.

* Get Expat.  You can get it through Fink: http://fink.sf.net
  Get the expat and expat-shlibs packages.

* Unpack ejabberd:

tar xzf ejabberd-0.7.tar.gz

* Put the file ejabberd.patch from my previous posting in the newly
  created directory and run:

cd ejabberd-0.7
patch -p1 < ejabberd.patch

My patch is an ugly hack which only works with Mac OS X.  Properly
there should be an autoconf test which switches link flags depending
on the system.  I'll see if I find time to do this.

* Configure ejabberd to use your Fink-installed expat, and compile it:

cd src
./configure LDFLAGS=-L/sw/lib CFLAGS=-I/sw/include CPPFLAGS=-I/sw/include --with-expat
make

At this point ld complained that ranlib hadn't been run on a couple of
Erlang libraries, so I did that manually.

BTW, I think it's a bug in the makefile that it doesn't use CPPFLAGS
(only CFLAGS) when compiling expat_erl.c.

* From this point, read the ejabberd documentation.

Hope this helps,
Magnus
JID: legoscia at charente.de