[ejabberd] ejabberdctl strange behavior

Frank Niedermann fbn at thelogic.org
Sun Sep 26 16:57:54 MSD 2004

Hi,

I have a strange behavior of ejabberdctl. I've copied the program from
the tools directory to /var/lib/ejabberd/ebin and executed the following
commands:

iws1:~/ejabberd# /var/lib/ejabberd/ebin/ejabberdctl ejabberd at iws1.de
  status
{"init terminating in do_boot",{undef,[{ejabberd_ctl,start,[]},
  {init,start_it,1},{init,start_em,1}]}} init terminating in do_boot ()

iws1:/var/lib/ejabberd/ebin# ./ejabberdctl ejabberd at iws1.de status
Can't get list of registered users on node 'ejabberd at iws1.de': nodedown
=ERROR REPORT==== 26-Sep-2004::14:39:27 ===
** System NOT running to use fully qualified hostnames **
** Hostname iws1.de is illegal **

iws1:/var/lib/ejabberd/ebin# erl -sname ejabberdctl -s ejabberd_ctl
  -noinput -extra ejabberd at iws1.de status
Can't get node 'ejabberd at iws1.de' status: nodedown
=ERROR REPORT==== 26-Sep-2004::14:55:05 ===
** System NOT running to use fully qualified hostnames **
** Hostname iws1.de is illegal **

iws1:/var/lib/ejabberd/ebin# erl -sname ejabberdctl -s ejabberd_ctl
  -noinput -extra ejabberd at localhost status
Can't get node ejabberd at localhost status: nodedown

The hostname iws1.de is a FQDN:
#host iws1.de
iws1.de                 A       213.133.123.38

What is wrong with my hostname and how do I use the ejabberdctl command
the right way?

Regards,
  Frank
  Mail: fbn at thelogic.org