[ejabberd] Keep alive check?

Andreas van Cranenburgh andreas at unstable.nl
Sat Apr 2 23:38:42 MSD 2005

On Sat, 2005-04-02 at 21:21 +0200, Yves Goergen wrote:
> Thanks for the info. TCP can do this? Does it continously ping the other
> side therefore? Because the applications have no chance to say goodbye
> when someone pulls the network cable. Do you know what timeout is the
> default or a common value for this?

TCP actually tries very hard to maintain connections, because they are
expensive to set up. So when an application does not check itself
whether messages actually arrive, then they will go in a black hole,
because TCP will only drop the connection after quite some time (between
5 and 10 minutes in my experience, this is configurable but I don't want
to mess with my server like that).

Jabber is not at all reliable, e-mail is. I've heard suggestions that
the server should keep messages in its queue until it receives a reply
message, to be sure that messages aren't lost. I personally think the
protocol should be changed, to require ACKing.

--
        Andreas        [ http://unstable.nl | xmpp:andreas at unstable.nl ]
                       [  callto:ils.seconix.com/andreas at unstable.nl   ]