[ejabberd] Re: Cookie Confusion

Mickael Remond mickael.remond at erlang-fr.org
Wed Apr 20 12:17:06 MSD 2005

Bill Brazell wrote:
> OK.  This is starting to blow my mind.  The part that hurts is that I've done
> this before.  Now, I can't get the .erlang.cookie file to be written.  When
> logged in as ejabberd, I perform the following:
>
> su ~
> [ejabberd at jabbertest ~]$ erl -setcookie myCookie
> Erlang (BEAM) emulator version 5.4 [source] [hipe]
>
> Eshell V5.4  (abort with ^G)
> 1> myCookie
> 1> halt().
> ** 2: syntax error before: halt **
> 1> halt().
> [ejabberd at jabbertest ~]$ ls -la .erlang.cookie
> ls: .erlang.cookie: No such file or directory
>
> Shouldn't the .erlang.cookie file be created at the first command?  Entering the
> cookie value within the Erlang console doesn't appear to do anything except
> invalidate the subsequent command.

No. You can set the cookie manually from the command line. In this case,
no interactions with the cookie file.
Or you can decide to set up the default by writing yourself directly in
the cookie file.
The cookie file is autogenerated only when there is none and you launch
Erlang without specifying the cookie.

I hope this helps,

--
Mickaël Rémond