[ejabberd] mysql server

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Tue Apr 26 18:17:11 MSD 2005

On Tue, 2005-04-26 at 09:02 -0400, Christopher Zorn wrote:
> On 4/25/05, Jon Phillips <jon at rejon.org> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am needing to add jabber functionality to a game server, and am
> > curious the best approach in using ejabberd. I think the best would be
> > to use the game server's mysql db which is setup for redundancy? I had a
> > previous setup with the game server and jabberd2 running independently,
> > with independent mysql databases, and that is not scaling well, as I
> > wrote glue to synchronize these two databases and things get out of sync
> > too easily. I think the best approach would be to centralize the
> > databases.
> >
> > Would the best way to do this be to use the new ODBC functionality? I
> > need to see where I should throw my coding efforts to see some of these
> > things through, as I'm ready to move on this now.
> >

> I was wanting to do something very similar. I was thinking of adding
> the ability
> to write your own sql for the ODBC parts to use. I have not started
> this yet, but I was thinking of submitting patches here when I
> started. What do you guys think?

I think this would be very valuable.

> > Also, what is the best way to then add/remove/edit users and also their
> > rosters with ejabberd?
> >
> ejabberdctl :)

I should have said that I want to do this from another computer, or
through PHP.

> > I'm already having some good byproducts from working with ejabberd, as
> > I've had to build a good init script and also have added some code to
> > the makefiles.

I think I have come up with a solution for my problem by just using
ejabberd for communication between users, and not storing their rosters,
I cut down the need for synchronization. Then badlops said I can just
use an external authorization script for auth. of a user with the mysql
db, which is great! So I will write this to connect with the game's db
server, query for the user, and if successful then authenticate that
user. That way I get around many issues.

The game already keeps a list of friends and then stores presence data,
so there is no need for these items from ejabberd.

Am I thinking this through straight? Any advice is appreciated. Also,
any examples of external authentication with a mysql db would be
appreciated.

Thanks!
Jon