[ejabberd] ejabberd scalability

Matthew Reilly matthew.reilly at sipphone.com
Thu Aug 18 05:53:58 MSD 2005

We are investigating using ejabberd as a jabber server. We will be
expecting a fairly large user base to start with (~10000 concurrent
users) with eventual growth to ~ 1,000,000+ concurrent users.

1) I'm trying to find out how many simultaneous users a clustered
ejabberd environment can handle. Does anyone know of any large
clustered ejabberd environments, or how large the current
largest ejabberd domains are?

2) Will the ejabberd clustering environment theoretically
allow 1,000,000+ concurrent users?

I looked through some of the old emails on this list,
and found that in regards to single servers these opinions
were made:

 Mickaël Rémond tested ejabberd with 7000 simultaneous clients.

 Mickaël Rémond also opinioned a (say 2GB, 3Ghz machine) should be
 able to handle at least 4000 concurrent users/sessions. Could be
 more but this figure is highly dependendant of the activity
 intensity of each user/session.