[ejabberd] ejabberd scalability

Alexey Shchepin alexey at sevcom.net
Mon Aug 29 03:56:39 MSD 2005

Hello, ke!

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 00:30:52 +0800, you said:

 >>> 1) I'm trying to find out how many simultaneous users a clustered ejabberd
 >>> environment can handle. Does anyone know of any large clustered ejabberd
 >>> environments, or how large the current largest ejabberd domains are?
 >> Currently there are 61,068 users registered on jabber.ru (the biggest known
 >> public domain) and 1,740 of them are online.

 kh> Could you provide a little more detail on jabber.ru?  e.g. server specs
 kh> (OS, RAM, CPU),

FreeBSD 5.3, 1G RAM, 2 x 2.4GHz CPU.

 kh> rough CPU and RAM consumtion for a large load (around 2,000)?

CPU consumtion is about 3-5%, memory -- ~445M.  Yes, to much memory, but it
grows almost to this size after mnesia loading, before ejabberd.  We will try
to migrate some mnesia tables on jabber.ru to postgres soon, and will see how
it influence the memory consumtion.

BTW, without "kernel poll" Erlang feature enabled (i.e. using poll or select
system call), CPU load was about 30%.  But currently it is supported on Solaris
and FreeBSD, but not on Linux.