[ejabberd] crash on startup

Jonathan Stewart jonathan.stewart at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 12:32:27 MSD 2005

On 8/29/05, Sergei Golovan <sgolovan at nm.ru> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 12:55:53AM -0500, Jonathan Stewart wrote:
> > Any ideas what permission is being denied?
>
> Probably ejabberd can't read it's config file.
Yes, that's exactly right.  Thanks Sergei.  For the record, on my
system, the file was readable only by root.  ejabberd ran as user
ejabberd, and expected /etc/ejabberd/ejabberd.cfg reable by ejabberd.

My fix was (as root):
chown ejabberd /etc/ejabberd/ejabberd.cfg

Now i have further problems, which i'm looking into, and it's very
late so i'll probably try tomorrow.  Something about the server
seeming to crash when i try to register a new user.  And the logs are
being less helpful with this.

BTW, i had a couple syntax errors in my config file (i saw once i had
perms sorted).  The error message was terrible, because it didn't give
me a line number at which the error was encountered.  Surely that
simple bit of extra debugging info would not be hard to display?  It
would save a world of grief and gnashing of teeth.

Cheers,
--
     Jonathan