[ejabberd] postgres + testing

Mickael Remond mickael.remond at erlang-fr.org
Tue Feb 22 18:05:29 MSK 2005

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Sorry, I just rejoined the list, so perhaps I missed some threads. Two
> questions:
>
> 1. Did the patches get incorporated that would enable someone to
> use PostgreSQL as the back-end database instead of Mnesia?

The PostgreSQL support has not been included into a released version but
is in the CVS development version.

> 2. Did the team ever make progress on testing the scalability of
> ejabberd? I'm still interested in perhaps running ejabberd as the
> jabber.org server, but I recall that there were some issues with
> memory usage at higher loads (at jabber.org we typically have 11k+
> connected users and 1300+ connected servers).

Regarding the benchmark, I had to stop for some time. When I stop, I had
finished the script to create a user base with typical roster
distribution size. I now need some time to run the benchmark. It will
probably require several launch to get a nice load increase that does
not kill the Jabber server too fast but that still go slowly to the
breaking point.
Your mail is a strong inventive to  relaunched this work on my part.

Regarding memory usage, there is still a problem remaining that show
abnormal use of memory. we are working on the problem currently and the
benchmark setup is clearly a good step in helping us identifying the
conditions of the problem.

I am planning to work with the Erlang team to help us find out what the
problem is.

What is the status of Jabber.org server ? Do you still have ongoing
problem with it ?

--
Mickaël Rémond
  http://www.erlang-projects.org/