[ejabberd] PyMSNt and PyICQt

James Tait james.tait at morse.com
Tue Feb 22 19:06:00 MSK 2005

> Anyway, when I want to install ejabberd, it tells me it needs
> openssl which is not installed. It may not be installed with
> APT but I installed it from source. And that's a newer
> version than Debian has. So how can I tell the ejabberd
> package that it should take a closer look and use the present openssl?

My /etc/apt/sources.list contains the following:

--8<--
deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ stable main non-free contrib
deb-src http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ stable main non-free contrib
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib
non-free
deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib
non-free

deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib non-free

deb http://www.backports.org/debian/ stable amavisd-new clamav
deb http://sgolovan.nes.ru/debian/woody ./
--8<--

The backports line can safely be removed, it's only there for clamav.  The
sgolovan line is where I get my ejabberd package from.

The security.debian.org line means I get the latest security updates -- note
that although the version is still 0.9.6c, it is a patched version.  As with
RedHat, the version number stays the same for compatibility with other
packages, but newer security fixes are backported.  See
/usr/share/doc/libssl0.9.6/changelog.Debian.gz for a list of recent security
fixes.

With this setup, you can use standard Debian packages for all but ejabberd,
which comes from sgolovan.nes.ru, and just run:

  # apt-get update && apt-get -u upgrade
  # apt-get install ejabberd

Then edit your /etc/ejabberd/ejabberd.cfg to set up.

When it comes to PyMSNt and PyICQt, however, I haven't (yet) got them
working with Debian Woody, due to dependencies on Python 2.3, where Woody
only has 2.1 (I think).

Hope this helps,

JT
--