[ejabberd] Ejabberd clustering

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at bnet.pl
Mon Jan 24 00:18:37 MSK 2005

On Sun, Jan 23, 2005 at 06:56:45PM +0300, Oleg V. Motienko wrote:
> We want to run ejabber cluster on two server serving same domain.
> Servers are on different ISP,  different IP subnets etc.
> So I read a guide and have a questions about s2s.
> What DNS records are needed for cluster of 2 servers?
> Is it SRV record with priority like MX in email ?

SRV records have a priority (just as MX) and weight.

When there are multiple records with the same priority they are used in
load-balancing, which may be weighted with the "weight" value.

If you want fallback, you need SRV records with different priority for
each server. If you want load-balancing then you use records with the
same priority. Both may have weight=0, but if you want more of load on
one of then, that you give it bigger weight then the other one.

Greets,
	Jacek