[ejabberd] privacy rules and invisibility

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Fri Jul 22 20:11:14 MSD 2005

Sergei Golovan wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 05:49:03PM +0200, Le Boulanger Yann wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I was not sure where was the bug (me or the server) because I first set
>>my privacy rule, so it's 'normal' that other contacts don't see me
>>offline when I go invisible. But I asked Peter Saint-Andre and he think
>>it's a server problem, it's why I ask you your opinion.
>

> AFAIK, server don't have to send any presence stanzas when it updates privacy
> rules.
>
> So, when you block outbound presence, your contacts will never receive them,
> even if you're going offline.
>
> I don't think that it's a server bug.
>
> BTW, how Peter Saint-Andre explains that it should be a bug in ejabberd?

Aha, I was wrong, this is a client problem as the protocols are defined
right now. JEP-0126 states that it is the client's responsibility to
send directed "unavailable" presence when going invisible. Hmm. It would
be nice if the server did that when processing the privacy rule. Perhaps
we need to update JEP-0126 in this regard, because sending directed
presence to everyone in your roster is rather messy...

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre
Jabber Software Foundation