[ejabberd] privacy rules and invisibility

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Fri Jul 22 20:26:13 MSD 2005

Sergei Golovan wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 10:11:14AM -0600, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>
>>Aha, I was wrong, this is a client problem as the protocols are defined
>>right now. JEP-0126 states that it is the client's responsibility to
>>send directed "unavailable" presence when going invisible. Hmm. It would
>>be nice if the server did that when processing the privacy rule. Perhaps
>>we need to update JEP-0126 in this regard, because sending directed
>>presence to everyone in your roster is rather messy...
>

> Then you'll have to update RFC 3921 which defines server behaviour. JEP-0126
> just defines way of implementing invisibility.

Yes, I know. :(

In fact JEP-0126 is wrong, too, because it says that you send the
directed presence *after* you set the active list, but RFC 3921 says
that all subsequent processing is based on the definition in the active
list. The result is that if you send unavailable presence after setting
the active list to forbid outbound presence, the server will not
broadcast that presence stanza, so everyone in your roster will see you
as online. :( What a mess. Who the heck wrote these specs, anyway? ;-)

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre
Jabber Software Foundation