[ejabberd] need to restart Ejabberd after signoff

cjackson cjackson at localsurface.com
Mon Jul 25 06:20:14 MSD 2005

Hi

This is one of those weird problems that kinda gets tossed around mailing lists.
But the issue is with Ejabberd so here is where I post.

I have a Debian box with Ejabberd  installed from apt-get version 0.9.1-2. This
works perfectly on our internal network. However, we have road warriors
accessing our net thru Openvpn (http://openvpn.net). They are able to sign in
using Gaim just as if inside the network, but if they sign out, they cannot sign
back in again until the ejabberd is restarted. The road warrior machines appear
as if on our network in bridge mode, so to the ejabberd server there should be
no discrimination. All traffic is allowed forward on this firewall interface.
The firewall log shows that no ejabberd traffic is being blocked. The ejabberd
log output here:

  =INFO REPORT==== 2005-07-24 20:21:52 ===
I(<0.445.0>:ejabberd_c2s:656): ({tlssock,#Port<0.295>,#Port<0.352>}) Opened
session for cjackson at mail/Gaim

=INFO REPORT==== 2005-07-24 20:22:33 ===
I(<0.445.0>:ejabberd_c2s:1019): ({tlssock,#Port<0.295>,#Port<0.352>}) Close
session for cjackson at mail/Gaim

=INFO REPORT==== 2005-07-24 20:22:41 ===
I(<0.229.0>:ejabberd_listener:90): (#Port<0.346>) Accepted connection
{{192,168,190,73},1395} -> {{192,168,190,32},5222}

But the error on the Gaim client is "cjackson at mail/GAIM has been disconnected"
"read error"

The error on subsequent attempts is the same but instead of "read error", it is
"couldn't connect to host"

Yet if I restart the ejabberd server, the user can sign in normally. After
repeated attempts to sign in without restarting the ejabberd daemon, the
ejabberd daemon simply dies.

Does anyone have insight or experience into this problem?

Many thanks,
Craig Jackson

P.S. If this double posts, sorry for the error.