[ejabberd] ejabberd Linux installer (beta installer version for 0.9.1)

Sander Devrieze s.devrieze at pandora.be
Thu Jun 16 19:28:54 MSD 2005

Op donderdag 16 juni 2005 16:25, schreef Mickael Remond:
> Hello,
>
> There is now a Linux installer for ejabberd on Process-one website.
> You can download it from:

Cool, I wanted to created something like that this summer. So you saved me a
lot work B-)

> http://www.process-one.net/en/projects/download.html
>
> It is bundled with a stripped down version of Erlang and you do not need
> anything else on your computer.

Idea: can you advice the Erlang project to split Erlang? E.g.:
* core package
* module 1 package
* module 2 package
* etc.

> If you have any suggestion to improve the install process and the
> configuration steps involved, you are welcome.

Ideas:
* i18n support in the installer.
* What about SSL?
* What about Autopackage? (this is what I wanted to use, it also has some nice
features): http://autopackage.org/gallery.html (relying only on commercial
software is always dangerous for an open source project...remember bitkeeper)
* Replace the final step (with "view Readme file" in it) with a the question
to start the introduction HTML page. This page should suggest to bookmark
this page; it should contain links to start the server, to stop the server to
enter the webadmin interface, to the documentation, to the Changelog, the the
FAQ, to the Readme,...
* Add the official documentation to the package (PDF and/or HTML).
* There are spelling errors in the installer, but it is not easy to comment
about them here (contact me via Jabber).

> It is only for Linux-x86 now, but others operating system and
> architecture are planned.

What about Mac OS X?

btw: ejabberd should be in Netbsd's ports as it is good for architecture
patches :-)

--
Mvg, Sander Devrieze.

xmpp:sander at l4l.be ( http://jabber.tk/ )