[ejabberd] postgres + testing

Matthew Nourse matthew_nourse at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 2 06:07:51 MSK 2005

>From: Nicolas Niclausse <Nicolas.Niclausse at sophia.inria.fr>

>  Matthew> I agree that the problem is strange :-).  Unfortunately it's
>  Matthew> just got a bit stranger ;-)...I wrote a small test program
>  Matthew> to try to test this out further but I can't get more than
>  Matthew> 1000 simultaneous connections with this test program.  I
>  Matthew> tried the test program with a variety of ERL_OPTIONS
>  Matthew> settings, including with and without the +K option.
>

>By default, a user program is limited to 1024 file descriptors. You
>should raise this limit using 'ulimit -n'
>
>You may have to tweak pam configuration to enable non root users to
>raise the hard limit
>
>see
>
>http://bbcr.uwaterloo.ca/~brecht/servers/openfiles.html

Thanks very much!  I found that in addition to following those instructions,
I also needed to add a

ulimit -HSn 80000

statement to the "start" section of my /etc/init.d/ejabberd file.

Now, the limiting factor is that my test program runs out of virtual memory
;-) (which is what I expected to see when I first started testing ;-)).

Thanks again.

Matt