[ejabberd] jabberd or ejabberd

Sander Devrieze s.devrieze at pandora.be
Fri Mar 4 02:27:22 MSK 2005

Op vrijdag 4 maart 2005 00:01, schreef jared:
> Don't mean to start any flame war or anything, but I'm curious.  Are the
> three mostly popular jabber servers, jabberd1.4.3.1 jabberd2.x, and
> ejabberd?  If so, in which order?  I'm just curious what the most widely
> deployed jabberd is,

Probably Jabberd14 is the most widely deployed open source Jabber server for
*public servers* because it is the oldest and included in most distributions.
Jabberd2 is the next version of Jabberd14, but because there is not yet a
stable version after 2/3? years, Jabberd14 still "lives". ejabberd is only
2,5 years old, but already much better than Jabberd14 IMO. I think it also
has a better feature as it is build upon Erlang, as it is one of the
state-horses of the Erlang community, as it has a good community,... Jabberd2
and ejabberd is probably (wild guess) installed on the same number of server
(or has the same number of users using such a Jabber server). Jive Messenger
is IMO the Jabber server with (at the moment ;-) ) the most user-friendly web
administration interface,...

> and why we should chose one over the other.

That depends on what you needs. A good starting point is
http://www.jabber.org/admin/jsc/ (this do only list the open source Jabber
server implementations, and not yet all of them)

--
Mvg, Sander Devrieze.

xmpp:sander at l4l.be ( http://jabber.l4l.be/ )