[ejabberd] ejabberdctl shows some error

Etan Reisner deryni at eden.rutgers.edu
Wed Mar 9 23:40:53 MSK 2005

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005, Yves Goergen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a bit curious about how to start and stop ejabberd. Since there's no
> PID file I could use to kill a process as it seems to be the usual Linux
> way, I thought that ejabberdctl tool could help me. The first time I
> used it, it really showed me the message which is printed in the manual,
> but for some time and now, if shows this:
>
> > # /var/lib/ejabberd/ejabberdctl
> > {"init terminating in do_boot",{undef,[{ejabberd_ctl,start,[]},{init,start_it,1},{init,start_em,1}]}}
> > init terminating in do_boot ()
>
> Anyone got an idea what this is? Somehow I can't imagine this is the
> intended output of this programme.
>
> When it works then, is this the right way to start and stop the ejabberd
> server? Can it also return me whether it's running or not? I'd like to
> include this in my daily server "health" report.

I'm not sure if this is the 'correct' way to get this working, but I've
found that the only way I can get ejabberdctl to work is if I cd into
the ebin directory and then run it. So if you installed ejabberd into
/var/lib/ejabberd you would cd to /var/lib/ejabberd/ebin and then run
ejabberctl.

ejabberdctl has a 'status' command which will tell you if a node is up
or not.

	-Etan