[ejabberd] How to set system access rights correctly?

Yves Goergen nospam.list at unclassified.de
Sat Mar 12 01:49:49 MSK 2005

Hi,

I have seen the Debian ejabberd scripts run the ejabberd service as a
separate system user. But this requires some directories and file access
masks to be modified to allow the jabber user writing of these files.
But while looking around, I haven't seen any system directory set with
other owner or group write access. Is there a general idea how this
should ideally look like?

Afaik the ejabberd server needs write access to these locations:
/var/lib/ejabberd/Mnesia*
/var/lib/ejabberd/priv
/var/lib/ejabberd/spool

I have set these directories chown jabber:jabber and mode 755. The rest
belongs to root.

Does ejabberd also need write access to /etc/ejabberd/* ?

Oh, it doesn't start and the erl_crash.dump is >80kB... Something's
wrong now.

Unclassified NewsBoard Forum --> newsboard.unclassified.de
Free (GPL), easy to use and install, secure, innovative! (PHP+MySQL)