[ejabberd] Message Archiving Module

James Tait james.tait at morse.com
Tue Mar 15 16:35:33 MSK 2005

Hi all,

As some of you will be aware, I have been trying to find time in between my
paid project work (i.e. my actual job) to add message archiving to ejabberd.
The reason for doing this was so that we could use ejabberd on our internal
corporate network as a productivity tool, but meet our legal obligations
(Sarbanes-Oxley and similar).

Well, I'll be leaving this job in just under three weeks, and I'm unsure
what to do with the small piece of code I've managed to write.  I'm not an
Erlang programmer and my life has been very busy, so progress has been slow.

It may be that with my new job I actually get more time to work on this.
However, I don't want to make any promises that I can't keep.  It currently
consists of only one file of 91 lines, including comments, some of which is
re-used from other ejabberd files.

It logs all messages sent to it to an XML file.  The name of the file is
configurable.  The location is the same as for the other log files.
Presence and IQ packets are not logged, as I haven't had the time yet to
figure out how to also pass them to the logging component (bandersnatch also
has this problem -- I believe it uses the bcc functionality on jabberd to
achieve this).  There is no log rotation.

I had intended to add log rotation, the ability to log messages to mnesia
and odbc back-ends, and accessibility via the web admin interface, but I
simply haven't had the time.

Is there any value in me contributing the small piece of work I've done to
the project?  If there's a more robust solution in the works, I'll be happy
to wait for that since, after all, I won't be using the Jabber server at my
current workplace for much longer and I'm not desperately in need of the
functionality on my home server.

Please let me know if you are interested.

Many thanks,

JT
--
James Tait
Developer, Morse Professional Services

This email and any attachments are confidential and are intended only for
the addressee.  If you are not the intended recipient of this email and
have received it in error, you are hereby notified that the email and any
attachments must not be copied, stored or further disseminated or
distributed.  If you have received this email and its attachments in error,
please notify the sender immediately and then delete it from your system.
Internet communications are not secure and Morse makes no representation
and accepts no responsibility or liability as to the completeness and
accuracy of the information contained in this message.  Any information,
opinions or advice contained within the email or any attachments are not
necessarily those of the Morse Group.

Email communications sent and/or received by Morse staff are stored and
monitored.

Orders for hardware and software are accepted subject to Morse's Standard
Terms and Conditions of Sale.  Orders for services are accepted subject to
Morse's Standard Terms and Conditions for the Provision of Consultancy
Services.  Copies are available at http://www.morse.com and on request from
legal at morse.com or your account manager.