[ejabberd] wiki

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Tue May 3 15:33:34 MSD 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-03 at 13:16 +0200, Badlop wrote:
> 2005/5/3, Jon Phillips <jon at rejon.org>:
> > so that people like
> > myself and others can post up knowledge learned from using ejabberd for
> > others to use.
> > I have been having to collect lots of knowledge to work on ejabberd, and
> > I think that this would be a great way to collect info. easily from all
> > users.
>
> Nice :)
>
> About contributing content to the site:
>
> People with a Drupal account can [1] not only start new threads on the
> forums and add comments on forum and nodes. They can also write new
> pages.
>
> Those pages appear immediately in Recent posts [2], can be read by
> other people and add comments so the original author can improve it.
>
> Once the text is good enought, an administrator can promote it to
> front page and, if the content was written for that, incorporated into
> the ejabberd Book [3].
>
> If any of this does not work for you now, it's probably my fault as
> Drupal admin for not setting the right permissions; please tell me.
>
> This process is less liberal and dynamic than a wiki, but better than
> static pages. I think it's ideal for websites that do not change too
> fast, where authors are permanent (they continue visiting the website
> weekly) or where errors in the texts are not common. Some benefits
> are:
>  * anything found on front page and the Book has been reviewed by at
> least one administrator or moderator, ensuring a minimum level of
> quality
>  * only the original author can modify the text, not visitors
>  * but visitors can spot bugs, errors and improvements by adding
> comments, that will be read by the author and by other visitors.
>
> And finally, if your contributions are usually good enought, you can
> be promoted to moderator to be able to administer the book yourself.
>

> Isn't that enought?

Well, this procedure is nice, but it enacts a social barrier high enough
to keep casual participants from contributing. Not only that, but is
there a need for that much moderation of content? ejabberd I think could
benefit heavily from a quick and easy posting system. I understand that
you are trying to keep centralization and focus for these things, but
there needs to be a quick collective building of documents that is not
so formal, but is open to any human basically. I *strongly* recommend a
wiki still...I'll do the work...just hook me up with server access, and
then this is done.

There is sooooooo much documentation that needs to be made for ejabberd,
but I feel that too much of this project has very high barriers for
participation. I respect you all, and respect this project, as it solid
technically, but I think that this project could benefit from some
lowering of barriers of participation. I have done this to several
projects now, and each time is has worked well...

Anyhow, I'm just asking to setup a wiki for quick posting of documents
for the project...no new user/pass. will be needed...trust me...you will
be amazed how it helps out.

Jon

--
Jon Phillips