[ejabberd] In need of an explanation...

Bill Brazell bill.brazell at cingular.com
Fri May 13 04:51:33 MSD 2005

I already posted this on the eJabberd forum
(http://ejabberd.jabber.ru/node/224#comment-448) but wanted to post it here
also to expand exposure.  There just doesn't seem to be much information about
ejabberd clustering available, other than the documentation on the ejabberd
site.  I've built the cluster, now I just need to figure out how to implement
it with fault tolerance.  Please help!

(posted on 11May) I've been battling with clustering ejabberd for about 2-3
weeks (part time) and am still at a loss for understanding how it's supposed to
work. Perhaps I'm a retard. I hope that someone (perhaps even Sir Badlop
himself) can assist here.

I thought I was getting close when I was able to register accounts with the
pooled hostname. I've read that others have used DNS round-robin to achieve
load balancing across two or more nodes. Like I said, that was looking good
until it came to service discovery. Another article said something about giving
the nodes the same name. I can't imagine how that would work.

Right now, I've settled with having server1 be the server that users will
register on, and server2 is doing only database replication. Sure, it's an
interconnected node, but if server1 goes down, the whole subsystem is down. Is
the clustering offered by ejabberd supposed to provide fault tolerance?
If so, how?