[ejabberd] CPU Utilization on ejabber servers

Andreas van Cranenburgh andreas at unstable.nl
Thu Nov 3 19:03:16 MSK 2005

On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 05:42:00PM +0200, Tiaan wrote:
>    Hi,
>
>    We're running two clustered ejabber servers on Windows 2003 systems,
>    with close on 15 000 online users shared between the systems. The CPU
>    usage on these systems is very high, and the memory utilization is at 1
>    GB, there is plenty of unused memory in the systems.

Seriously, with this many users you ought to ask if you can install a
UNIX/Linux cluster. If you install an apt-based distro (Ubuntu-server,
Debian, etc.), then it's as simple as "apt-get install ejabberd".

You can then buy very cheap commodity hardware. Eg. the cheapest Dell
desktops, with 2.4 Ghz. (They work very well with Linux). Please don't
buy expensive servers from Dell ;)

Maybe three, maybe five (I can't give you figures), and your CPU load
will go down, your ejabberd server (cluster) will perform better and
your boss will be happy with you. ;)

Mail me if you want/need more details (eg. round-robin howto etc.)

Good luck!

--
        Andreas        [ http://unstable.nl | xmpp:andreas at unstable.nl ]
                       [  callto:ils.seconix.com/andreas at unstable.nl   ]