[ejabberd] CPU Utilization on ejabber servers

Andreas van Cranenburgh andreas at unstable.nl
Thu Nov 3 20:53:04 MSK 2005

On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 06:32:37PM +0100, Sander Devrieze wrote:
> > Seriously, with this many users you ought to ask if you can install a
> > UNIX/Linux cluster. If you install an apt-based distro (Ubuntu-server,
> > Debian, etc.), then it's as simple as "apt-get install ejabberd".
>
> As I am not sure if the Erlang version in these distributions already have the
> epoll patch of the Gizmo Project people
> ( http://www.gizmoproject.com/ )included, it might be better to choose
> FreeBSD then. This because the FreeBSD ports of ejabberd and Erlang support
> kernel polling for sure.

Good point. But: I deliberatly didn't mention FreeBSD cause I wanted to
mention "easy-to-install" stuff, where you never have to compile. That's
a relative concept. This is no flamewar. :P

Enabling epoll on Debian/Ubuntu might be easy. I might investigate.
Anyone who already did it? Please post HOWTO to
http://ejabberd.jabber.ru :)

> > Mail me if you want/need more details (eg. round-robin howto etc.)
>
> Hint: a Round-robin howto is still missing in both the guide and the website
> (ejabberd Book). Feel free to contribute. ;-)

I am currently in the process of collecting hardware for a 2nd server in
my LAN (the lan of unstable.nl). As soon as I have that up and running,
I'll do proper load balancing of ejabberd, and I'll do it in an
easy-to-setup way. Eh... remind me to document that, when I get to do
it.

--
        Andreas        [ http://unstable.nl | xmpp:andreas at unstable.nl ]
                       [  callto:ils.seconix.com/andreas at unstable.nl   ]