[ejabberd] CPU Utilization on ejabber servers

Tiaan tiaanh at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 21:22:56 MSK 2005

Hi
**
*2. user activity / behaviour. are they sending each other a lot of
messages? or just working and sending 1 message every hour?*
 There is a lot of login / logoff activity and messages is being sent very
frequently, we also run many chat bots on the system, causing messages
originating from one user to be delevired to many users.

*3. if there's memory free, then you installed too much memory. Or: you
can store more things in memory instead of on-disk (note that this can
be dangerous in case of power-loss, data can disappear).*
 Most of the Mnesia tables is configured to be stored on disk and memory,
the 2nd node is set to the defaults as on the first node.
 *1. what is your ejabberd version?*
 ejabber - 0.9.8
erlang - R10B-7
 *how many service packs installed for windows...?*
 SP1 with the latest patches

*2. what is the actual load average you get?*
 Don't know how to get the equivalent to load average on Windows, I'm busy
downloading an utility that is suppose to show this. But the CPU used
persentage is around 90%.
Something to note here, one of the ejabber's is running in the werl and the
other in the erl emulater, the reason is that one is already running as a
service and the other one not yet. The one in the werl is running at 90% and
the the erl at 60%, with a similiar user count. Don't know if this is
coincidential.
 *Round-robin howto is still missing in both the guide and the website*
**
We use Windows's NLB (Network Load Balancing) to balance the load, which is
working very good.
 The +P parameter is 32 000 by deafult, in the ejabber performance guide it
says to set it to 200 000, what does this value do ? Could it possibly help
reduce the CPU load ?
 Something else, it seems like the erlang prosses is configured not to use
more that 1GB of memory, as it's swapping while physical memory is still
available. Looking at the manual it seems like the "+A" and "+h" parameter
sets pool and heap values, but I don't know what the default is, nor what to
set it to.
 Thanks
Tiaan