[ejabberd] HAYELP - Can't get Ejabberd to work

Owen, Andy RG argowen at crystaluk.biz
Fri Oct 28 20:59:30 MSD 2005

I've posted this on the forums, but I though I might get a quicker response here:

Any help/suggestions gratefully received.

I've had an installation of Ejabberd with JWChat working on the same machine under (I think) Debian Woody... BUT I had to rebuild the server (after I broke it installing egroupware... but that's another story)..

So, having remembered that Ejabberd was a nice and easy install I thought, come back here, follow the install tutorial and it should be nice...

No such joy...

I've followed the tutorial to the letter, but I can't get into ejabberd or jwchat at all..

I can stop and start the server nicely, I can check on the status, using ejabberctl status.

BUT I can't register a user, or get into webadmin...

If I try registering a user I get this:

ukec4deb1:/etc/apache2# ejabberdctl --node ejabberd at ukec4deb1 register argon0 jabber.crystaleu.net argon0
Can't register user "argon0 at jabber.crystaleu.net" at node ejabberd at ukec4deb1: {'EXIT',
{badarg, [{erlang, port_control, [stringprep_port, 1, "jabber.crystaleu.net"]}, {stringprep, control, 2}, {jlib, nameprep, 1}, {ejabberd_auth, try_register, 3}, {rpc, '-handle_call/3-fun-0-', 6}]}}

My ejabberd.cfg file is below. My server is called ukec4deb1, on the uk.crystaleu.net domain. I have set up a hosts entry for jabber.crystaleu.net for this machine.

Any Ideas anyone?

% Default Debian ejabberd.cfg

%override_acls.

% Users that have admin access. Add line like one of the following after you
% will be successfully registered on server to get admin access:
%{acl, admin, {user, "aleksey"}}.
{acl, admin, {user, "argon0"}}.

% Blocked users:
%{acl, blocked, {user, "test"}}.

% Local users:
{acl, local, {user_regexp, ""}}.

% Another examples of ACLs:
%{acl, jabberorg, {server, "jabber.org"}}.
%{acl, aleksey, {user, "aleksey", "jabber.ru"}}.
%{acl, test, {user_regexp, "^test"}}.
%{acl, test, {user_glob, "test*"}}.

% Only admins can use configuration interface:
{access, configure, [{allow, admin}]}.

% Every username can be registered via in-band registration:
{access, register, [{allow, all}]}.

% None username can be registered via in-band registration:
%{access, register, [{deny, all}]}.

% After successful registration user will get message with following subject
% and body:
{welcome_message,
{"Welcome!",
"Welcome to Debian Jabber Service. "
"For information about Jabber visit http://jabber.org"}}.
% Replace them with 'none' if you don't want to send such message:
%{welcome_message, none}.

% List of people who will get notifications about registered users
%{registration_watchers, ["admin1 at localhost",
% "admin2 at localhost"]}.

% Only admins can send announcement messages:
{access, announce, [{allow, admin}]}.

% Only non-blocked users can use c2s connections:
{access, c2s, [{deny, blocked},
{allow, all}]}.

% Set shaper with name "normal" to limit traffic speed to 1000B/s
{shaper, normal, {maxrate, 1000}}.

% Set shaper with name "fast" to limit traffic speed to 50000B/s
{shaper, fast, {maxrate, 50000}}.

% For all users except admins used "normal" shaper
{access, c2s_shaper, [{none, admin},
{normal, all}]}.

% For all S2S connections used "fast" shaper
{access, s2s_shaper, [{fast, all}]}.

% Admins of this server are also admins of MUC service:
{access, muc_admin, [{allow, admin}]}.

% All users are allowed to use MUC service:
{access, muc, [{allow, all}]}.

% This rule allows access only for local users:
{access, local, [{allow, local}]}.

% Authentication method. If you want to use internal user base, then use
% this line:
{auth_method, internal}.

% For LDAP authentication use these lines instead of above one:
%{auth_method, ldap}.
%{ldap_servers, ["localhost"]}. % List of LDAP servers
%{ldap_uidattr, "uid"}. % LDAP attribute that holds user ID
%{ldap_base, "dc=example,dc=com"}. % Search base of LDAP directory
%{ldap_rootdn, "dc=example,dc=com"}. % LDAP manager
%{ldap_password, "******"}. % Password to LDAP manager

% For authentication via external script use the following:
%{auth_method, external}.
%{extauth_program, "/path/to/authentication/script"}.

% For authentication via ODBC use the following:
%{auth_method, odbc}.
%{odbc_server, "DSN=ejabberd;UID=ejabberd;PWD=ejabberd"}.

% Host(s) name: (replace for your hostname(s))
% Old {host, "localhost"}. option is equivalent to {hosts, ["localhost"]}.
{hosts, ["localhost", "jabber.crystaleu.net"]}.

% Default language for server messages
{language, "en"}.

% Listened ports:
{listen,

[{5222, ejabberd_c2s, [{access, c2s},
starttls, {certfile, "/etc/ssl/certs/ejabberd.pem"},
{shaper, c2s_shaper}]},

{5223, ejabberd_c2s, [{access, c2s},
tls, {certfile, "/etc/ssl/certs/ejabberd.pem"},
{shaper, c2s_shaper}]},

{5269, ejabberd_s2s_in, [{shaper, s2s_shaper}]},

{5280, ejabberd_http, [http_poll, web_admin]}
]}.

% If SRV lookup fails, then port 5269 is used to communicate with remote server
{outgoing_s2s_port, 5269}.

% Used modules:
{modules,
[
{mod_announce, [{access, announce}]},
{mod_register, [{access, register}]},
{mod_roster, []},
{mod_shared_roster, []},
{mod_privacy, []},
{mod_configure, []},
{mod_configure2, []},
{mod_disco, [{extra_domains, ["users.jabber.org"]}]},
{mod_stats, []},
{mod_vcard, []},
{mod_offline, []},
{mod_echo, []},
{mod_private, []},
{mod_irc, []},

{mod_muc, [{access, muc},
{access_create, muc},
{access_admin, muc_admin}]},
{mod_pubsub, []},
{mod_time, []},
{mod_last, []},
{mod_version, []}
]}.

» add new comment <http://ejabberd.jabber.ru/comment/reply/469#comment> | next forum topic <http://ejabberd.jabber.ru/node/459> | 9 reads

Oh, and if I try to telnet <http://ejabberd.jabber.ru/node/469#comment-964>

Submitted by Argon0 <http://ejabberd.jabber.ru/user/63> on Fri, 2005-10-28 15:59.

Oh, and if I try to telnet to it on 5222 I get nothing - But if I check the processes (using Webmin) I can see it is listening on 30000 (and something e.g. 32771) I have telnetted to this address locally - and connect - but get thrown out after a few seconds.

AND I can't get to the webadmin screen either.

Argon0

--
Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.

the system manager.

states them to be the views of Crystal UK.

"Proofpoint Messaging Security Gateway" for the presence of computer viruses.

http://www.crystaluk.org/

Crystal UK Ltd (Reg No 3120712)
Registered Office: 5 Queen Street, London, EC4N 1SW
Member of the Recruitment and Employment Confederation.