[ejabberd] MySQL - how to setup and use?

Yves Goergen nospam.list at unclassified.de
Sat Apr 29 01:10:39 MSD 2006

Hi list,

now that ejabberd supports MySQL databases, I got myself a binary copy
and installed it on my test server. But it seems to be quite complicated
to get it working with MySQL, if possible at all. First, the docs I
found [1] say I should copy some additional files into my Erlang
directory, or besides the other .beam files. Well, I don't have any of
these. Where should I put those files then?

Next is the configuration file format. I guess it lies in the nature of
Erlang but I don't understand a word. Isn't there some kind of installer
or template file for that where I enter my database account data and it
does the rest?

I'm using a binary release because I made negative experiences with the
availability of Erlang for Debian and then its dependence of openssl.
The binary has the advantage that I don't need to care about all those
strange things and can start right away, which is what I actually want
to do. The installer worked fine (the text output was de_DE at utf8 while
my terminal seems to be @iso-8859-1, not a big problem though, it was
only half translated anyway) and I found the start binary to start the
server. But I really like to see what it stores and since I never
managed to dump the internal database format, I want to put it all in
the system's MySQL server that already stores data for other services.

I also need to import a 0.7.5 internal database when the server goes
live. Any chance to do that or do I need to manually re-import my
rosters? Didn't find anything in the documentation. Maybe there's a tool
that creates an SQL dump directly from the old database? That'd be cool.

[1]
http://support.process-one.net/doc/display/MESSENGER/Using+ejabberd+with+MySQL+native+driver

"This message represents the official view of the voices in my head."
http://newsboard.unclassified.de - Unclassified NewsBoard Forum