[ejabberd] Highly Available setup Qs

Daryl Herzmann akrherz at iastate.edu
Sun Dec 10 22:37:18 MSK 2006

Greetings,

I'm investigating how to setup ejabberd for high availability.  My
userbase will probably never exceed the capacity of a single machine, but
I need a jabber service that will have near 0 downtime (live failover, am
I dreaming here?) on a small budget.

So my current thought is to Linux Virtual Server and float a virtual IP
between two real servers (ejabberd nodes).  Effectively, one cluster node
would always have all of the users on it, but that isn't a concern.

Looking through the docs I notice that mod_muc is not cluster friendly.  I
definetely need MUC support, so will this be a show stopper for attempting
this setup?

Anybody have ideas / docs on the best way to approach this?

thanks!
   daryl