[ejabberd] server doesnt tell about disconnected user

Sergei Golovan sgolovan at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 15:38:31 MSK 2006

On 12/13/06, Farooq <farooq at infinilogic.com> wrote:
> hello,
>
> i have noticed a problem in ejabberd-1.1-2 and jabberd-1.4 . When a user
> gets disconnected because of network failure - messages sent to the users
> are lost without any notification.

Jabber protocol does not have any mechanism of reliable message
delivery. It entirely relies on the underlying TCP protocol (which is
unreliable too, by te way).

In case of network failure ejabberd (I guess not only ejabberd) can't
figure it out before some TCP timeout reaches. All messages sent
before that are lost.

--
Sergei Golovan