AW: [ejabberd] Jab_simul crashing ejabberd service

Bryan Barnes Bryan.Barnes at SEILLC.com
Sun Feb 12 02:59:55 MSK 2006

I played with it some more this weekend, and started using two machines
to test, on the off chance it was a problem with the simulator machine.
I noticed an interesting error after the latest crash, my mnesia
database was full and it wouldn't accept any connections to the ejabberd
server, despite the fact that the service was running.  I know I've seen
a mod that converts ejabberd to use mySQL, is anybody using this and
could tell me if they're experiencing any problems?

-----Original Message-----
From: ejabberd-bounces at jabber.ru [mailto:ejabberd-bounces at jabber.ru] On
Behalf Of Sander Devrieze
Sent: Tuesday, February 07, 2006 7:07 AM
To: ejabberd at jabber.ru
Subject: Re: AW: [ejabberd] Jab_simul crashing ejabberd service

Op dinsdag 07 februari 2006 09:00, schreef Staudinger, Ulrich:
> Not really, we thought it's propably something like the message
delivery
> stuff... when you pipe in too many messages per second the message
queue
> will slowly fill up ... and if you load tool can't handle the amount
of
> messages it will get in return, the message queue will fill up, too
> just a little bit faster.
>
> And once it starts to swap the performance will drop almost
immediately.

Seems like a production management-like problem (a course I got). :-)

Possible solution:
1) Add an automatic message rate limit system for the input of the queue
which
is influenced by how much messages there are in the queue. Thus, if
there go
less messages out the queue (e.g. 5 messages per second) than in the
queue
(e.g. 10 messages per second), this means that the queue gets bigger and

bigger. If the queue passes a specific limit, a rate limiter should be
enabled on the input (e.g. 4 messages per second).
2) Increase the performance of the queue output.

--
Mvg, Sander Devrieze.
xmpp:sander at devrieze.dyndns.org

ejabberd, the expandable Jabber daemon. --
http://ejabberd.jabber.ru/