[ejabberd] no listening on ports

Mickael Remond mickael.remond at process-one.net
Thu Feb 23 18:52:31 MSK 2006

* Dirk Völlger <forums at thebiketour.net> [2006-02-23 16:30:02 +0100]:

> Hello,
>
> I still have problems with making ejabberd listen on the ports i defined
> for msn/icq transports. I installed ejabberd 1.0.0 on Debian Sarge as
> described on
> http://www.process-one.net/en/projects/ejabberd/docs/guide_en.html and the
> jabber-server seems do work. Only the transport to servers like icq, msn
> does not work. I found out, that the server does not listen on the ports i
> defined in ejabberd.cfg . So when trying to connect with my ICQ I always
> get the message: Connection on failed Error while Reading.
>
> The connection to the jabber-server itself seems to be accepted, but then
> there is a sudden termination:
>
> =INFO REPORT==== 2006-02-23 02:00:12 ===
> I(<0.209.0>:ejabberd_listener:90): (#Port<0.288>) Accepted connection
> {{84,xxx,xxx,xxx},62747} -> {{83,xxx,xxx,xxx},5347}
>
> =INFO REPORT==== 2006-02-23 02:00:12 ===
> I(<0.282.0>:ejabberd_service:307): terminated: normal
>
> Any hints to make the server listen to the ports?

The server is listening to the port as you get a connect notification.
However you misunderstood the use of the Jabber gateway (ICQ, Yahoo,
MSN, etc).
The ejabberd port are placeholder for transport software connection.
They can be use through a normal Jabber client to define your connection
information for Yahoo, MSN, ICQ, etc. You get connected to the other
networks from a Jabber client through ejabberd and a transport gateway
software that you also have to install.

Here is how to configure the PyICQt transport:
http://ejabberd.jabber.ru/pyicqt

I hope this helps,

--
Mickaël Rémond