[ejabberd] Correct response to empty vCard request

Matthew Reilly matthew.reilly at sipphone.com
Fri Feb 24 04:15:37 MSK 2006

One of our partners brought this question up about the XMPP response to
a vCard request for an account that doesn't have a vCard assosiated with
it. I was not able to find gleem the answer from the JEP.

Suppose that I try to look up my vCard and I have a vCard stored, I get
a response back from the server like:

<iq from="matt at chat.gizmoproject.com" type="result" id="aab3a"
to="blortz_europe at chat.gizmoproject.com/Psi" >
    <vCard xmlns="vcard-temp"  >
        <FN>Matthew Reilly</FN>
     </vCard>
</iq>

But what should be returned from the server if there is no vCard for the
user?

ejabberd send this response (i.e., no <vCard> entry):

<iq from="matt at chat.gizmoproject.com" type="result" id="aabda"
to="matt at chat.gizmoproject.com/Psi" />

whereas the jabberd server returns this ( i.e. it has an existing but
empty <vCard/> entry):

<iq from="sipphonematthew at jabber.org/Psi" type="result" id="aab3a" >
    <vCard xmlns="vcard-temp"/>
</iq>

In reading JEP-0054, it's not discussed what should happen if a vCard
doesn't exist for a user.

Does anyone know if there is a definitive answer? (i.e. is the ejabberd
response the correct one?)

Thanks,
Matt Reilly