[ejabberd] deep sixed

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Thu Jan 5 03:27:14 MSK 2006

>> There was an idea to build erlang without threads and hipe. Have you really
>> done this?
> i tried, but am unsure i succeeded.  it's a freebsd ports issue.

the port maintainer has replied [ top posting corrected ]

    Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 00:48:18 +0100 (CET)
    From: Jimmy Olgeni <olgeni at FreeBSD.org>
    To: Randy Bush <randy at psg.com>
    Subject: Re: erlang freebsd

    On Wed, 4 Jan 2006, Randy Bush wrote:
    > i am trying to build erlang on 7-current without threading.
    > is modifying /usr/ports/lang/erlang/Makefile to have
    >
    > #CONFIGURE_ARGS+=        --enable-threads --enable-hipe --enable-kernel-poll
    > CONFIGURE_ARGS+=         --enable-kernel-poll
    >
    > sufficient?

    I think so. That should entirely remove threading from the
    erlang runtime (it is not actually used unless you specify the "+A"
    option in the erl command line.)

    --
    jimmy

which leaves me confused why i am seeing threading in the dump

    #0  0x281e53db in pthread_testcancel () from /usr/lib/libpthread.so.2
    [New Thread 0x8198400 (LWP 100174)]
    [New Thread 0x8198200 (LWP 100121)]
    [New Thread 0x8198000 (runnable)]
    [New LWP 100207]
    (gdb) trace
    trace command requires an argument
    (gdb) back
    #0  0x281e53db in pthread_testcancel () from /usr/lib/libpthread.so.2
    #1  0x281dd085 in pthread_mutexattr_init () from /usr/lib/libpthread.so.2
    #2  0x00000000 in ?? ()

i am rebuilding erlang yet again

randy