[ejabberd] MUC / JEP-0045

Badlop badlop at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 14:08:21 MSK 2006

2006/1/4, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at jabber.org>:
> Just because you don't happen to like room locking doesn't mean you can
> ignore the spec.

'Obviously, Doctor, you've never been a 13-year-old girl.' [1]

If he considers he has good reasons backing his decision, he *can*
ignore the protocol, right?. Of course that prevents mod_muc from
being full JEP45 compliant :S

2006/1/5, Le Boulanger Yann <asterix at lagaule.org>:
> A good client will show the configuration window as soon as he creates the room.

So, as you already say, if mod_muc implements lock-until-configured,
several changes are required in all Jabber clients.  We already know
the opinion of a Tkabber developer (Sergei). Are you interested in the
opinion of Psi, Gajim, Pandion and Google Talk developers? I can make
a poll on Tkabber website right now.

Until the most used Jabber clients are able to deal with
lock-until-configured, ejabberd admins must have the option to disable
that 'feature' (even if you get ill considering the possibility of a
protocol violation).

Getting real facts, when do you think Psi (the most used Jabber
client) will be able to deal with lock-until-configured? 2006, 2007,
2008?
http://psi-im.org/development

I want ejabberd to be fully protocol compliant, but a software product
must satisfy his users, not a technical comitee. The same day
ejabberd's SVN gets lock-until-configured support, I'll write a patch
that adds a new configurable option to revert that behaviour:
{lock-until-configured, false}. I'll request my patch to be included
in ejabberd until most Jabber clients are capable of dealing with
locked rooms themselves. Once they do, I'll ask my patch to be
completely removed from ejabberd.

This way ejabberd will be both protocol-compliant and user-friendly,
both now and on the future, am I right?

[1] I think the people that are interested in lock-until-configure
support today do not deal with people that use a wide range of Jabber
clients, most of them with little knowledge of Jabber, Internet, or
even computer experience.